Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
Thus I heard. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
A certain deity, when the night was waning illuminating the whole of Jeta's grove with an effulgent light approached the Blessed One, worshipped and stood on a side.
Standing on a side, that deity pronounced these stanzas in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "When the house is on fire, things given away,
- Are important, the rest get burnt with the house.
- Thus our forefathers were carried away by decay and death,
- And whatever they gave got established for them.
- The given brought pleasant results, the not given was left behind,
- Robbers or kings took them, or it was destroyed by fire.
- At the end the body is burnt with all its belongings,
- Knowing this the wise partake and give their wealth
- By partaking and giving in their capacity
- Without blame procure a place in heaven."