Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the squirrels' sanctuary in the bamboo grove in Rajagaha.
2. At that time the Brahmin Aggika Bharadvaja was intent on preparing the sacrificial porridge with ghee and was thinking I will light the fire and cook the sacrificial porridge.
3. The Blessed One putting on robes in the morning, taking bowl and robes entered Rajagaha for the alms round. Going the alms round in due order approached the house of the Brahmin Aggika Bharadvaja and stood on a side.
4. Seeing the Blessed One standing for alms the Brahmin Aggika Bharadvaja said this stanza to the Blessed One:
- "You, endowed with the threefold knowledge, of good birth and much learning
- Endowed with knowledge and conduct, is suitable to partake the sacrificial porridge."
(The Blessed One:)
5. "However much nonsense is muttered, a Brahmin is not by birth,
- Internally he is soiled and full of deceit.
- He knows previous births and sees heaven and hell
- The sage has destroyed birth and is versed in knowledge.
- With this threefold knowledge a Brahmin is born.
- Endowed with knowledge and conduct, he offers me the sacrificial porridge."
6. "Good Gotama, you are a Brahmin. Partake the porridge."
7. "Look bramin, it is not suitable, that I should partake food reciting stanzas.
Enlightened Ones do not push along reciting stanzas.
- It is becoming mindful of the right thing.
- Offer the eatables and drinks to a perfect sage.
- Who has destroyed his desires and appeased his doubts
- It will be a field of merit for those who desire merit.
8. Then the Brahmin Agghhika Baradvaja said to the Blessed One: "Good Gotama, now I understand. It's like something overturned is put upright. Something covered is made manifest. It's like one who was lost was shown the path. It's like a lamp was lighted for the darkness, for those who have sight to see forms. In this and other ways the Teaching is well explained. Now I take refuge in good Gotama, in the Teaching and the Community of bhikkhus. May I gain the going forth and the higher ordination in the dispensation of Gotama."
The Brahmin Agghika Bharadvaja obtained the going forth and higher ordination.
Soon after the higher ordination, venerable âgghika Bharadvaja secluded and withdrawn from the crowd abode diligently to dispel and before long, for whatever reason sons of clansmen rightfully leave the household and become hermit, that noble end of the holy life he realized, attained and abode. He knew, birth is destroyed, the holy life is lived, duties done, there is nothing more to do.
6. Venerable Bharadvaja became one of the worthy ones.