Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time a certain bhikkhu lived in a certain stretch of forest in the country of Kosala.
2. At that time, this bhikkhu sitting for seclusion during the day thought evil thoughts of demerit such as sensual thoughts, angry thoughts and hurting thoughts.
3. Then a deity living in that stretch of forest out of compassion, wishing to arouse remorse, approached that bhikkhu.
4. Approaching, said these stanzas:
- "Thinking unwisely the good one is submerged in thoughts,
- Give up the unwise thinking and be wise
- Bhikkhus in the Community of the Teacher, become virtuous
- And doubtlessly delight, realizing pleasantness."
5. Then that bhikkhu made remorseful by the deity became concerned.