Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
I heard thus. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
1. Then bhikkhuni âlavika putting on robes in the morning and taking bowl and robes entered Sàvatthi for alms. Going the alms round and after the meal, she approached the dark forest to find seclusion.
2. Then Màra the evil one desiring to frighten bhikkhuni âlavika approached her and said this stanza:
- "In the world, there is no refuge, what could seclusion do to you.
- Partake sensual passion, do not have remorse later."
3. Then it occurred to bhikkhuni âlavika, "Who is it that says a stanza, is it a human or non-human?"
4. Then it occurred to bhikkhuni âlavika, it is Màra the evil one, desiring to frighten me and disturb me in my seclusion that has said this stanza.
5. And bhikkhuni âlavika knowing it is Màra the evil One, replied with this stanaza
- "There is a refuge in the world, I have realized it wisely.
- Relation of negligence, you do not know that!
- Sensuality is like the blade of a sword,
- The masses are like the executing block,
- You talk of sensual passion, I have become passionless.
7. Then Màra the evil one knowing, "Bhikkhuni âlavika knows me," displeased, vanished from there.