Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time venerable ânanda was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
2. Then venerable ânanda putting on robes in the morning and taking bowl and robes entered Sàvatthi for alms with venerable Vaïgãsa as the second recluse.
3. At that time, venerable Vaïgãsa was discontented, with lust arising in his mind.
4. Then venerable Vaïgãsa said this stanza to venerable ânanda:
- "My mind is burning with sensual greed,
- I am a disciple of Gotama; Please tell me, how should I purify my mind?"
5. "Your mind is burning because of a distorted perception
- Avoid that passionate sign, you have welcomed
- Reflect determinations as foreign, unpleasant and lacking a self.
- Extinguish greed altogether and do not be burnt again and again.
- Develop loathsomeness and concentrate the mind in one point.
- Develop mindfulness of the body for welfare and turn away with disgust
- Develop the mind without a sign and expel the tendency to measure.
- Thus overcoming measuring live appeased."