Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time venerable ânanda lived in a stretch of forest in the country of Kosala.
2. At that time, venerable ânanda was spending a lot of time advising lay people.
3. A deity living in that stretch of forest out of compassion, wishing to arouse remorse, in venerable ânanda approached him and said these stanza:
- "You have come to a place where there are many roots of trees
- Arouse interest for extinction, disciple of Gotama concentrate
- Do not be negligent. What is the use of talking all the time?"
4. Then venerable ânanda made remorseful by the deity became concerned.