Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
At one time the Blessed One was at Andhakavinda in the country of Magadha.
The Blessed One was sitting in open space, it was a dark night and drops of rain were also falling.
When the night was waning, illuminating Andhakavinda completely Brahma Sahampathy approached the Blessed One, worshipped and stood on a side.
Standing, Brahma Sahampathy said these stanzas in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "Make use of remote jungle dwellings, behave to dispel bonds,
- If passions cannot be overcome there,
- Mindfully protect yourself living with the community of bhikkhus
- While going from house to house for morsel food,
- Appropriately and mindfully protect the mental faculties.
- Make use of remote jungle dwellings
- Those set free from fear are released, without fear.
- There is fear from creeping things
- And lightening, thunder and rain come together
- In the thickly dark night, the bhikkhu sits,
- A single hair does not stand on end.
- It is in your dispensation, that I attained right view.
- I will not stir from that. A single one leading the holy life,
- Diminishes the domains of death by thousands
- More than five hundred in the training
- And ten hundred thousands of beings
- Have entered the stream of the Teaching
- They will not go to animal wombs
- And the remaining people, I think are on the side of merit.
- I cannot calculate the numbers who are afraid to tell lies."