Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anathapindika in Jeta's grove in Savatthi.
2. Bhikkhus, in the past many virtuous sages, who conducted themselves righteously lived together in huts of leaves in the forest
3. Then Sakka the king of gods and Vepacitti the king of Titans approached these virtuous bhikikhus.
4. Vepacitti the king of Titans entered the hermitage through the chief door, wearing his huge sandals, holding high his sword and the umbrella spread out, not respecting the virtuous sages who conducted themselves righteously, and went away.
5. Then bhikkhus, Sakka the king of gods entered the hermitage pulling out his huge sandals, giving his sword to another and folding the umbrella, stood respectfully clasping his hands towards the virtuous sages, who conducted themselves righteously.
6. Those virtuous bhikkhus who conducted themselves righteously said these stanzas to Sakka the king of gods:
- "He confused the sages of Gandhara and his body disappeared in the air.
- One with a thousand eyes, he that stepped out, is the king of impure gods."
7. "Sages of Gandhara, may his body disappear in the air.
- Sirs, I desire the scent from a beautiful flower in the head garland,
- Gods do not entertain loathsome perceptions."