Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time, the Blessed One was living in the squirrels' sanctuary, in the bamboo grove in Rajagaha.
2. The Brahmin Asurinda Bharadvaja heard that the Brahmin of the Bharadvaja clan had gone forth and become ascetic in the dispensation of the recluse Gotama.
3. Then the Brahmin Asurinda Bharadvaja, angry and displeased approached the Blessed One, and with rude, rough words scolded and reviled the Blessed One.
4. Then the Blessed One kept silence.
5. Then the Brahmin Asurinda Bharadvaja said to the Blessed One: "Recluse, we won!"
6. "The foolish think it is victory to talk rough words.
- Victory is to him, who heals the mind, knowing it.
- So also it is demerit to arouse someone, who has aroused you
- He that does not arouse someone in return has won a difficult battle.
- He behaves for his own good and the good of the other
- Knowing that someone is angry, if you appease yourself mindfully,
- You heal both yourself and the other
- Those not clever in the Teaching, think they are foolish,"
7. Then the Brahmin Asurinda Baradvaja said to the Blessed One: "Good Gotama, now I understand. It's like something overturned is put upright. Something covered is made manifest. It's like one who was lost was shown the path. It's like a lamp was lighted for the darkness, for those who have sight to see forms. In this and other ways the Teaching is well explained. Now I take refuge in good Gotama, in the Teaching and the Community of bhikkhus. May I gain the going forth and the higher ordination in the dispensation of Gotama."
The Brahmin Asurinda Bharadvaja obtained the going forth and higher ordination.
Soon after the higher ordination, venerable Asurinda Bharadvaja secluded and withdrawn from the crowd abode diligently to dispel and before long, for whatever reason sons of clansmen rightfully leave the household and become ascetic, that noble end of the holy life he realized, attained and abode. He knew, birth is destroyed, the holy life is lived, duties done, there is nothing more to do.
8. Asurinda Bharadvaja became one of the worthy ones.