Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time, the Blessed One was living in the squirrels' sanctuary, in the bamboo grove in Rajagaha.
2. The Brahmin Bilangika Bharadvaja heard that the Brahmin of the Bharadvaja clan had gone forth and become ascetic in the dispensation of the recluse Gotama.
3. Then the Brahmin Bilangika Bharadvaja, angry and displeased approached the Blessed One, stood on a side and kept silence
4. The Blessed One knowing the thoughts and thought process of the Brahmin Bilangika Bharadvaja said this stanza:
- "If someone thinks polluted thoughts
- About a pure man without blemish
- By that the foolish one cooks evil for himself,
- As though throwing, fine dust against the wind."
5. Then the Brahmin Bilangika Baradvaja said to the Blessed One: "Good Gotama, now I understand. It's like something overturned is put upright. Something covered is made manifest. It's like one who was lost was shown the path. It's like a lamp was lighted for the darkness, for those who have sight to see forms. In this and other ways the Teaching is well explained. Now I take refuge in good Gotama, in the Teaching and the Community of bhikkhus. May I gain the going forth and the higher ordination in the dispensation of Gotama."
The Brahmin Bilangika Bharadvaja obtained the going forth and higher ordination.
Soon after the higher ordination, venerable Bharadvaja secluded and withdrawn from the crowd abode diligently to dispel and before long, for whatever reason sons of clansmen rightfully leave the household and become ascetic, that noble end of the holy life he realized, attained and abode. He knew, birth is destroyed, the holy life is lived, duties done, there is nothing more to do.
6. Venerable Bharadvaja became one of the worthy ones.