Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time many bhikkhus lived in a stretch of forest in the country of Kosala.
2. Those bhikkhus, having spent the rains and at the end of the three months went on a tour.
3. Then a deity living in that stretch of forest not seeing those bhikkhus lamenting about their absence said this stanza:
- "Today I am discontented seeing these empty seats.
- They looked attractive and learned,
- Where have the disciples of Gotama gone?
4. Hearing this another deity said this stanza:
- "Some went to Magadha, some to Kosala,
- Some to the country of the Vajjis
- They wander like wild animals.
- Bhikkhus, live a ascetic life."