Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the gabled hall in the Great Forest in Vesali.
2. At the time the Blessed One was instructing, inciting, and gladdening the bhikkhus with a talk, on the six doors of mental contact. The bhikkhus too were listening attentively to grasp the essential.
3. Then it occurred to Màra the evil one, "The recluse Gotama is instructing, inciting, and gladdening the bhikkhus with a talk, on the six doors of mental contact. The bhikkhus too are listening attentively to grasp the essential. What if I approach the recluse Gotama to disturb the gathering?"
4. Then Màra the evil one, approached the Blessed One, and not far away from the Blessed One made a sound, which said the earth was falling to pieces.
5. Then a certain bhikkhu said to another bhikkhu. "Bhikkhu, it seems as though the earth is falling to pieces."
6. Hearing those words the Blessed One said: "Bhikkhu, it is not the sound of the earth falling to pieces; it is Màra the evil one, come to distract your attention."
7. The Blessed One knowing it's Màra the evil one said this stanza to him:
- "Forms, sounds, tastes, scents, touches and ideas,
- Are the fearful worldly matter, on which the world is swooned
- The disciple of the Enlightened One, should overcome all these mindfully,
- And going beyond the domains of Death, shine like the sun."
8. Then Màra the evil one knew, the Blessed One has recognized me, became displeased and vanished from there.