Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time, the Blessed One was living in the squirrels' sanctuary, in the bamboo grove in Rajagaha.
2. At that time a certain Brahmin woman by the name Dana¤jani, of a Brahmin of the Bharadvaja clan was recollecting enlightenment, the Teaching and the Community of bhikkhus with an appeased mind.
3. Then the Brahmin woman Dana¤jani served food to the Brahmin of the Bharadvaja clan and thinking cleverly made this solemn utterance three times. "I worship the Blessed One, worthy and rightfully enlightened."
4. Hearing this the Brahmin of the Bhàradvaja clan said to Dana¤jani: "This outcaste woman, for this and other reason utters words of praise to the shaven headed recluse. Listen! Outcaste woman! Now I will go and draw your Teacher for a dispute."
5. "Brahmin, in this world together with its gods and men, Màras and Brahmas and the community of recluses and Brahmins, I do not know of anyone who could draw that Blessed One, worthy and rightfully enlightened to a dispute. Yet, Brahmin, go and find out."
6. Then the Brahmin Bharadvaja, angry and displeased, approached the Blessed One, exchanged friendly greetings and sat on a side.
7. Sitting on a side the Brahmin Bharadvaja said this stanza to the Blessed One:
- "Cutting up what, does someone sleep well and cutting up what does one not grieve?
- The destruction of what one thing, is Gotama attached to?"
8. "Cutting up anger one sleeps well. Cutting up anger one does not grieve
- Brahmin, the noble ones praise the destruction of the poisonous root
- And the sweet top of, anger. Cutting that there is no grief."
9. Then the Brahmin of the Baradvaja clan said to the Blessed One: "Good Gotama, now I understand. It's like something overturned is put upright. Something covered is made manifest. It's like one who was lost was shown the path. It's like a lamp was lighted for the darkness, for those who have sight to see forms. In this and other way the Teaching is well explained. Now I take refuge in the Blessed One, in the Teaching and the Community of bhikkhus. May I gain the going forth and the higher ordination in the dispensation of Gotama."
10. The Brahmin of the Bharadvaja clan obtained the going forth and higher ordination.
11. Soon after his higher ordination, venerable Bharadvaja secluded his mind and withdrew from the crowd. He abode diligently to dispel and before long, for whatever reason sons of clansmen rightfully leave the household and become hermit, that noble end of the holy life he realized, attained and abode. He knew, birth is destroyed, the holy life is lived, duties done, there is nothing more to do.
12. Bharadvaja became one of the worthy ones.