Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. Thus I heard. At one time the Blessed One was living in the squirrels' sanctuary in the bamboo grove in Rajagaha.
The Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus from there:
- "Bhikkhus, the lifespan of human's is a short one. It's a marching, to the next world. Merit should be done and the holy life should be lead. To the born, there is no alternative but death. Bhikkhus, if anyone lives long, it's nothing more than a hundred years."
2. Then Màra the evil one approached the Blessed One and said this stanza in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "Day and night do not vanish, life does not get destroyed.
- The lifespan of humans turn, like the knob of the chariot wheel."
3. "Day and night vanish, life gets destroyed.
- The lifespan of humans diminish, like water in rivulets
4. Then Màra the evil one knew, "The Blessed One has recognized me,' became displeased and vanished from there.