Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
I heard thus. Once the Blessed One was living in the peaked hall in the Great forest in Vesali.
2. When the night was waning, illuminating the whole of the Great forest with an effulgent light, Kokanada Pajjuna's second daughter approached the Blessed One, worshipped and stood on a side and said these stanzas in the presence of the Blessed One
Kokanada Pajjuna's daughter, came like lightening, and said:
- "I worship the Enlightened One and the Teaching,
- And say these meaningful stanzas.
- However much we analyze the Teaching, it is this.
- I will tell it, in short, as my mind permits.
- Do no evil by word, mind or body for any reason.
- Mindfully dispel sensuality
- And do not pursue unpleasantness uselessly."