Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time, the Blessed One was living in the deer park, in Isispatana in Benares.
2. The Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus from there thus: "Bhikkhus, I am released from all snares whether heavenly or human. Bhikkhus, you too work out your release from all snares whether heavenly or human. For the welfare and good of many, gods and men, go on tours. Two should not go on the same path. Bhikkhus, preach the Teaching. Good in the beginning middle and end, meaningful even in the letters proclaiming the pure, holy life completely. There will be beings with a few defiling things, they will deteriorate owing to not hearing the Teaching. There will be those who realize the Teaching. I too will proceed to the hamlet Senani to preach."
3. Then Màra the evil one approached the Blessed One and said this stanza:
- "Whether heavenly or human you are bound by all snares.
- Recluse, you are bound by a huge bond. I will not release you."
4. "Whatever it may be, heavenly or human, am released from all snares.
- I am released from the great bond. Go away! You are the ender.