Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. Standing on a side, Ghaññhãkara the son of the gods said this stanza in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "Seven bhikkhus, destroyed greed and hatred,
- Crossed the diffused ness of the world,
- And took birth, as Aviha Brahmas.
2. How did they cross the difficult domains of death?
- How did they give up the human bodies and gain heavenly ones?
3. The three Upaka, Phalagaõ.da and Pukkusati,
- Bhaddiya, Khaõ.dadeva, Bahuraggi and Pingiya.
- They gave up human bodies and obtained heavenly ones.
4. To tell their merit, how they overcame the snare of death,
- Knowing whose Teaching did they cut the bond `to be'.
5. It's not in another's but the Blessed One's dispensation,
- They learnt the Teaching and cut the bond `to be'.
- They destroyed name and matter without a hold.
- Knowing this Teaching they cut the bond `to be'"
6. "You say wise words, difficult to understand and realize.
- Knowing whose Teaching do you speak words like these?"
7. "In the past, there was a potter named Gathikara in Vehalinga.
- He, a lay disciple of the Blessed One Kassapa, cared for his mother and father.
- Refraining from sexuality, he led a holy life and abstained from eating meat.
- They came from the same village, they were your friends.
- I know this, with the destruction of greed and anger,
The seven bhikkhus are released from the diffused ness of the world."
8. "As Bhaggava says there was, in the past a lay disciple of the Blessed One Kassapa, who cared for his mother and father.
He refrained from sexuality, led a holy life and abstained from eating meat.
- We came from the same village, we were friends.
- Thus the friends of yore have met,
- We two having developed our selves, bear the last bodies."