Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. Thus I heard. Before enlightenment, the Blessed One was living in Sàvatthi on the bank of river Nera¤jara, at the root of the Ajapàla banyan tree. At that time the Blessed One was seated in open space, in the dark and drops of rain were also falling.
2. Màra the evil one, intending to frighten the Blessed One, creating the form of a huge elephant approached the Blessed One.
3. His head was a huge bubble of glittering glass, teeth like silver coins. The trunk was like the huge beam of a plough.
4. The Blessed One knowing that it's Màra the evil one, said this stanza to him.
- "Creating forms good and evil, you fare in existences long,
- Enough of it, evil one, you are the ender."
5. Then Màra the evil one knew, "The Blessed One has recognized me," became displeased and vanished from there.