Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in Rajagaha on the Indakuta rock, the home of the non-human Indaka.
2. Then the non-human Indaka approached the Blessed One and said this stanza:
- "The Enlightened Ones say, there is no life in matter.
- When there is no strength, how is the body to know?
- How is a skeleton formed for him?
- And without strength what clings in the womb?"
3. "First there is the suitable soil. In it there is a swelling
- In the swelling rises a lump of flesh.
- The lump of flesh becomes a hard mass.
- Then major and minor limbs arise in the hard mass.
- And hair of the head and body and nails arise.
- He is nourished with the eatables and drinks eaten by the mother.
- Thus the man gone to the mother's womb is nourished