Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
Khema, the son of gods standing on a side said this stanza, to the Blessed One:
- "The foolish behave, becoming their own enemy
- They do actions, the results of which are painful.
- Actions that bring remorse are better not done
- The results of such actions are to be borne with tearful eyes.
- Actions without remorse are well done.
- Their results could be enjoyed with a pleasant mind."
- "With caution do actions, if you know it's for your welfare.
- Do not think like a carter, think wisely to exert.
- Do not be like the carter who abandoned the safe highway,
- Entered the uneven path and gambled in thoughts.
- Just so leaving behind the Teaching, do not pick up the wrong Teaching.
- The fool in the face of death thinks like a loser in gambling."