Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi. At that time the Blessed One was preaching to a huge gathering.
2. Then it occurred to Màra the evil one. "The recluse Gotama is preaching to a large gathering, what if I approach the recluse Gotama and disturb the gathering."
3. Then Màra the evil one approached the Blessed One and said a stanza to the Blessed One:
- "Why do you roar like a confident lion?
- Is there an opponent, whom you want to defeat?
4. "Indeed, great heroes roar confidently in gatherings.
- Thus Gone Ones have attained power, having overcome the sinful bend."
5. Then Màra the evil one knew, the Blessed One has recognized me, became displeased and vanished from there.