Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
2. Then bhikkhuni Kisa-Gotami, putting on robes in the morning and taking bowl and robes, entered Sàvatthi for alms. Going the alms round and after the meal, she approached the dark forest and sat at the root of a certain tree to find seclusion.
3. Then Màra the evil one desiring to frighten bhikkhuni Kisa Gotami approached her and said this stanza:
- "Why do you sit alone with tearing eyes as though your sons are dead?
- Is it in search of a man, that you have entered the forest?"
4. Then it occurred to bhikkhuni Kisa Gotami "Who is it that says a stanza, is it a human or non-human?"
5. It occurred to bhikkhuni Kisa Gotami, "It is Màra the evil one, desiring to frighten me and disturb me in my seclusion that has said this stanza."
6. And bhikkhuni Kisa Gotami knowing it is Màra the evil One, replied with this stanaza:
- "I have perpetually lost my sons and also my men
- Friend, I do not grieve or cry, am not afraid of those losses.
- I have destroyed all interests and the mass of ignorance is split
- Victorious over the array of Death, I live without desires."
7. Then Màra the evil one knowing, "Bhikkhuni Kisa Gotami knows me," displeased, vanished from there.