Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One lived in the squirrels' sanctuary in the bamboo grove in Rajagaha.
2. Then venerable A¤¤asikonda¤¤a after a very long time, approached the Blessed One, put his head at the feet of the Blessed One, kissed and stroked the feet and said Am Konda¤¤a, Blessed One, I am Konda¤¤a Well Gone One.
3. Then it occurred to venerable Vaïgãsa: "Venerable A¤¤asi Konda¤¤a after a very long time, approached the Blessed One, put his head at the feet of the Blessed One, kissed and stroked the feet and says I am Konda¤¤a, Blessed One, I am Konda¤¤a Well Gone One. What if I praise venerable A¤¤asikonda¤¤a in the presence of the Blessed One with suitable stanzas?"
4. Then venerable Vaïgãsa got up from his seat, arranged his robe and clasping hands towards the Blessed One said: "Venerable sir, Blessed One, it occurs to me."
5. The Blessed One said "Vaïgãsa, say it."
6. Venerable Vaïgãsa said these meaningful stanzas in the presence of the Blessed One, alluding to venerable A¤¤asi Konda¤¤a:
- "Konda¤¤a the elder who firmly went forth,
- Was the next in order, to be enlightened after the Blessed
- He constantly enjoys pleasant abidings of the mind.
- He has done his duties in the dispensation of the Teacher
- He is powerful with the threefold knowledge
- And is clever in knowing the thoughts of others
- Konda¤¤a the disciple of the Enlightened One
- Worships the feet of the Teacher."