Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi. From there the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus: "Bhikkhus" and the bhikkhus said: "Yes, venerable sir."
And the Blessed One said thus:
2. "Bhikkhus, in the past there was a fight between the gods and the Titans."
3. "In that fight the Titans won and the gods lost."
4. "The gods who have lost the battle, went away towards the north as though to meet the Titans."
5. "Then Sakka the king of gods said a stanza to the charioteer Màtali:
- `Màtali, the brood of birds, are in the sword forest,
- With the head of the pole keep them away.
- It is hard to allow the Titans to live.
- May the twice born not go away from the nest.'
6. "Then Màtali the charioteer agreeing with Sakka the king of gods followed them in the chariot to which a thousand thoroughbreds are yoked.
7. "Bhikkhus, then it occurred to the Titans: `We are followed by the chariot of Sakka the king of gods to which a thousand thoroughbreds are yoked. For the second time the gods are coming to meet us. They were frightened and entered the city of the Titans.'
8. "Bhikkhus, the king of the gods became victorious in a righteous way.