Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. Once the Blessed One lived in Sàvatthi in Jeta's grove in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika.
2. When the night was waning a large number of deities of the Satullapa group, approached the Blessed One, illuminating the whole of Jeta's grove, worshiped the Blessed One and stood on a side.
3. One of those deities said thus in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "The miserly and the negligent do not give gifts such as these,
- Desiring merit, gifts should be given knowing."
4. Then another deity said thus in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "With whatever fears the miserly do not give gifts,
- Through that same fear, they give gifts
- Hunger and thirst are the things that the miserly fear,
- That same fear, touch them, in this and the other world.
- Therefore lessen miserliness by giving gifts and overcoming stains
- It's merit that establishes living beings in the next world."
5. Then another deity said thus in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "They do not die on account of the dead, like a jungle road abandoned for, its faults.
- Even a little should be bestowed on them, that is the ancient lore
- Some bestow a little, others do not give much.
- Even a little given, brings thousandfold results.
6. Then another deity said thus in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "Seldom the giver, gives realizing the results of action
- The unappeased do not know the results of action
- The right Teaching is difficult to understand.
- Therefore the mindful and the absent minded,
- Have different courses of action
- Those unappeased, go to hell, the appeased to heaven."
- Then another deity in the presence of the Blessed One said:
- "Venerable sir, whose words are good?"
'All these words are good words, yet listen to what I have to say.
- He who lives a life of gleaning, according to the Teaching
- Nourishing his wife and giving even a little, does better than
- Making a thousand sacrifices to hundred thousands.
- It does not reach up, even to a quarter."
8. Then another deity said thus in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "Why does such a great sacrifice,
- Made rightfully not bear the highest results?
- Making a thousand sacrifices, to hundred thousands.
- Why does it not reach up, even to a quarter?"
9. The Blessed One replied that deity, saying this stanza:
- "A certain one gives unrighteous gifts
- By plundering, binding and causing grief
- A thousand offerings with tearful eyes and punishment
- Are not even a quarter, compared to a righteous offering."