Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. In Sàvatthi at the monastery.
2. Magadha the son of the gods standing on a side said this stanza in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "How many lights are evident in the world?
- By which the world is manifested?
- We came to know this from the good one."
- "There are four lights in the world, a fifth is not evident.
- The sun burns during the day, the moon shines at night,
- Fire burns here and there during the day and night.
- Of those that illuminate, the Enlightened One is foremost.
- His radiance is incomparable."