Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. Once the Blessed One lived in Savatthi, in Jeta's grove in the monastery offered by Anathapindika.
2. When the night was waning a large number of deities of the Satullapa group, approached the Blessed One, illuminating the whole of Jeta's grove, worshiped the Blessed One and stood on a side.
3. One of those deities said this stanza, in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "Sensuality is not constantly present in humans
- There are some sensual women bound to them,
- Men come back here, and go to the domains of death.
- Sorrow and unpleasantness rise from interest,
- Training the interest is lessening grief,
- Lessening grief is lessening unpleasantness
- The beautiful things in the world are not sensuality,
- Man's greedy thoughts for them, are sensuality.
- The beautiful things in the world stand as they are,
- The wise dispel the interest for them
- Throw out anger and give up measuring,
- Overcome all bonds, not soiled by name and matter,
- Do not have perceptions to fall into unpleasantness.
- If someone gives up speculating and measuring,
- If he destroys craving in this world, for name and matter,
- When his bonds are cut and he is without troubles and desires
- If he is sought among gods or men, would not be found,
- In this, the other world, in heaven or in any settlement."
Venerable Mogharaja said,
- "Those released thus are not seen.
- Among gods or men, in this or the other world
- If someone worships, those obliging noble humans
- Those that worship become pleasant."
The Blessed One said:
- "If they worship the thus released ones,
- They know the Teaching, dispel doubts,
- Giving up bonds, they too become bhikkhus."