Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time venerable Nàgadatta lived in a stretch of forest in the country of Kosala.
2. At that time, venerable Nàgadatta enters the village too early and returns very late.
3. Then a deity living in that stretch of forest out of compassion, wishing to arouse remorse, approached venerable Nagàdatta.
4. Approaching, said these stanzas:
- "Nàgadatta, enter the village at the right time and return early.
- Do not associate householders too long, I'm afraid, do not share
- Pleasant and unpleasant feelings, association with families is the bond
- King of Death is powerful, do not enter his domains.
5. Then venerable Nàgadatta made remorseful by the deity became concerned.