Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
2. Then Màra the evil one approached the Blessed One and said this stanza in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "Those who have sons, rejoice in sons.
- Those who have cattle, rejoice in the herd.
- Humans rejoice in clinging,
- Without a clinging, there is no rejoicing."
3. "Those who have sons, grieve because of sons.
- Those who have cattle grieve because of the herd.
- Clinging, is the sorrow of humans.
- When there is no clinging, there is no grief."