Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
Nandana, the son of the gods, standing on a side said this stanza in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "Wise Gotama, manifest knowledge and vision and tell me:
- "To what is called virtues?
- To what is called wisdom?
- How does one go beyond unpleasantness?
- And doing what are the gods revered?"
- "If one develops the self, becoming virtuous and wise,
- Concentrates mindfully attached to the higher states of the mind,
- All his grief vanishes and gets dispelled,
- Without desires he bears the last body.
Such a one is said to be virtuous,
- Such a one, is said to be wise,
- Such a one goes beyond unpleasantness.
- Such a one reveres the gods."