Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time venerable Vangisa lived in Alavi in the Aggalavi monument with his teacher Nigrodha Kappa.
2. At the time venerable Vangisa was a novice, one who had gone forth recently. He was living under the orders of the chief resident monk.
3. Then many women who were anxious to wander about in the monastery, decorating themselves approached the monastery.
4. Seeing those women, venerable Vangisa was discontented, lust arising in his mind.
5. Then it occurred to venerable Vangisa: `This is not gain for me. This should not happen to me, this discontent with lust arising in my mind. How could I dispel the discontent of others and arouse contentment in their hearts. What if I dispel my discontent and arouse contentment in my heart?"
6. Then venerable Vangisa dispelled his discontent and aroused contentment in his heart and uttered these stanzas that moment.
- "I renounced my household and became ascetic in want of appeasement,
- Yet these dark unruly thoughts disturb me. I'm one, thoroughly trained,
- Uggaputta of Mahisa is my teacher. Let any amount of women come and surround.
- I will not go away from the Community, they will not change me.
- I am well established in the Teaching."
- I thoroughly know the words of the relation of the Sun.
- My mind is well established in the path of extinction.
- Even when living thus, the Evil One pounces on me.
- I will not let Death know my path."