Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. The origin is Savatthli.
2. At that time, a Brahmin named Paccanãkasata lived in Sàvatthi.
3. It occurred to the Brahmin Paccanãkasata "If I were to approach the recluse Gotama, to whatever the recluse Gotama says, I will speak adversely to those words."
4. At that time the Blessed One was walking with mindful awareness in open space.
5. The Brahmin Paccanãkasata approached the Blessed One's walk and followed him when walking and said: "Recluse, preach me."
6. "Those with adverse thoughts cannot understand well said words.
- They are with defiled minds and a lot of anger.
- If you tame your adverse nature and dissatisfaction
- And dispel your anger know that it is speaking good words."
7. Then the Brahmin Paccanãkasata said to the Blessed One: "Good Gotama, now I understand. It's like something overturned is put upright. Something covered is made manifest. It's like one who was lost was shown the path. It's like a lamp lighted for the darkness, for those who have sight to see forms. In this and other ways the Teaching is well explained. Now I take refuge in good Gotama, in the Teaching and the Community of bhikkhus. I am a lay disciple who has taken refuge from today until I die."