Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
2. At that time the Blessed One was advising, inciting, gladdening and making light, the hearts of the bhikkhus with a talk connected with extinction and the bhikkhus too were listening with complete attention to absorb the essential.
3. Then it occurred to venerable Vaïgãsa: "The Blessed One is advising, inciting, gladdening and making light, the hearts of the bhikkhus with a talk connected with extinction and the bhikkhus too are listening with complete attention to absorb the essential. What if I praise the Blessed One in his presence with meaningful stanzas."
4. Then venerable Vaïgãsa got up from his seat, arranged his robe and clasping hands towards the Blessed One said:
- "Venerable sir, Blessed One, it occurs to me."
5. The Blessed One said "Vaïgãsa, say it."
6. Venerable Vaïgãsa said these meaningful stanzas in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "More than a thousand bhikkhus associate the Well Gone One
- Who is preaching the pure extinguishing Teaching without fear.
- The Community of bhikkhus listens to the rightfully Enlightened One.
- The Community of bhikkhus with the Enlightened One at the head shines.
- The Blessed One, the seventh of the sages is known as a Great Being.
- He has become a rainy cloud that rains on the disciples.
- I desire to see my Teacher, he has gone for seclusion during the day
- Great hero, Vaïgãsa your disciple worship your feet."
7. "Vaïgãsa, are these stanzas pre thought, or do they come to you at the moment?"
8. "Venerable sir, these stanzas are not pre thought, they come to me at the moment.
9. "Then Vaïgãsa, for more enjoyment say some stanzas that come to you this moment."
10. Venerable Vaïgãsa accepting the offer of the Blessed One for more enjoyment said these stanzas that came to him that moment.
- "Overlooking the side tracks of Màra behaves breaking asunder all obstacles.
- Look how he releases them, from bonds, as though dividing the food to enjoy.
- To cross the floods various paths are explained
- The deathless state is told, they see it through the mirror of the Teaching unmoved.
- The bringer of light penetratingly saw the state beyond all stations of consciousness.
- Knowing and realizing the highest, the Blessed One showed eight stations.
- The Teaching is so well proclaimed, who would be negligent and not learn it?
- Therefore diligently worship and be trained in the dispensation of the Blessed One."