Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. Thus I heard. At one time the Blessed One was living in the squirrels' sanctuary in the bamboo grove in Rajagaha.
2. The Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus from there:
3. "Bhikkhus, the lifespan of human's is a short one. It's a marching to the next world. Merit should be done and the holy life should be lead. To the born, there is no alternative but death. Bhikkhus, if anyone lives long, it's nothing more than a hundred years."
4. Then Màra the evil one approached the Blessed One and said this stanza in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "The lifespan of humans is long, it should not be disdained by man.
- Enjoy life be happy, there is no returning after death.
5. The lifespan of humans is short, it should be disdained by man.
- Live like one with the head burning, there is not a non-returning after death."
6. Then Màra the evil one knew, "The Blessed One has recognized me," became displeased and vanished from there.