Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the squirrels' sanctuary in the bamboo grove in Rajagaha.
2. At that time the bhikkhuni Sukka was preaching a large gathering of people.
3. A non-human pleased with the bhikkhuni Sukka went from street to street and from junction to junction and said this stanza.
- "Why should I say this, the people of Rajagaha are as though drunk, for a second.
- They do not listen to Sukka preaching the deathless state,
- Which comes unhindered, unmixed and with strength.
- I think the wise drink it, as though a traveler caught in a rainy cloud."