Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the Brahmin village Ekanaliya in the country of Kosala. At that time the Blessed One was preaching a huge gathering of lay disciples.
2. Then it occurred to Màra the evil one. `The recluse Gotama is preaching a large gathering of lay disciples, what if I approach the recluse Gotama and disturb him?"
3. Then Màra the evil one approached the Blessed One and said a stanza to the Blessed One:
- "It is not suitable, that somebody like you, should instruct others,
- The accomplished ones do not perform in circumstances of like and dislike."
4. "Out of compassion the rightfully Enlightened One advises others,
- The Thus Gone Ones are completely released from likes and dislikes."
Then Màra the evil one knew, the Blessed One has recognized me, became displeased and vanished from there.