Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. The Blessed One was living in Sàvatthi. At the time the Blessed One was instructing, inciting, and gladdening the bhikkhus with a talk, on clinging to the five masses. The bhikkhus too were listening attentively to grasp the essential.
2. Then it occurred to Màra the evil one, "The recluse Gotama is instructing, inciting, and gladdening the bhikkhus with a talk, on clinging to the five masses. The bhikkhus too are listening attentively to grasp the essential. What if I approach the recluse Gotama to disturb their attention?"
3. At that time many bhikkhus had left their bowls away from them.
4. Then Màra the evil one, creating the form of a buffalo approached the bowls.
5. Then a certain bhikkhu said to another bhikkhu. "Bhikkhu, a buffalo is approaching, it might destroy the bowls."
6. Hearing those words the Blessed One said: "Bhikkhu, it is not a buffalo, it is Màra the evil one, come to distract your attention."
7. The Blessed One knowing it's Màra the evil one said this stanza to him:
- "Whatever, matter, feelings, perceptions, consciousness or dependently arisen thing,
- That is not I. That's not mine. Detach yourself from them.
- That detachment is for appeasement, to go beyond all bonds.
- Searching everywhere, even the array of Màra would not find you."
8. Then Màra the evil one knew, the Blessed One has recognized me, became displeased and vanished from there.