Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time venerable Vaïgãsa lived in Alavi in the Aggalavi monument with his teacher Nigrodha Kappa.
2. At the time venerable Vaïgãsa proud of his understanding belittled well-behaved bhikkhus.
3. Then it occurred to venerable Vaïgãsa: `This is not gain for me. This should not happen to me. I am proud of my understanding and belittle well-behaved bhikkhus."
4. Then venerable Vaïgãsa counseled himself arousing remorse for his pride and that moment said these stanzas.
- "Disciples of Gotama, dispel conceit and the sources from which it rise
- Until all sources of conceit are dispelled be remorseful for it
- Through the mouth you become merciless. The conceited fall in hell
- The conceited born in hell suffer long. The bhikkhu who has won the path,
- And rightfully fallen to that path never grieve any more.
- They enjoy fame and pleasantness. To this is called, attachment to the Teaching.
- Therefore make endeavor, pull the arrow and dispelling obstacles be pure.
- And understand, make an end of unpleasantness and be calmed."