Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the Brahmin village Pa¤casala.
2. At that time the boys of the Pa¤casala village had prepared food for guests.
3. The Blessed One, putting on robes in the morning and taking bowl and robes entered the village Pa¤casala for the alms round.
4. At that time the Brahmin householders of Pa¤casala were taken possession by Màra the evil one, so that the recluse Gotama, may not gain morsel food.
5. So as the Blessed One entered the village Pa¤casala with an empty bowl, just so he returned with an empty bowl.
6. Then Màra the evil one approached the Blessed One and said, "So then, the recluse did not get morsel food."
7. "Evil One, you did it in such a way, so that morsel food would not be gained."
8. "Then venerable sir, the Blessed One, should go a second time to the village pa¤casala for alms, I will do it, so that you gain morsel food."
- "Màra, you beget demerit, offending the Thus Gone One,
- Evil One do you think, results would not come to me!
- We are happy, that we have not received anything,
- We partake of happiness like the radiant gods."
9. Then Màra the evil one knew, the Blessed One has recognized me, became displeased and vanished from there.