Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One lived in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
2. At the time the Blessed One was advising, inciting, gladdening and making light the hearts of the bhikkhus with a talk on extinction. The bhikkhus too were listening lending ears attentively to absorb the essential.
3. At that time the mother of the non-human Punabbasu was rejoicing with her son in this manner:
- "Uttarika and Punabbasu, don't make a noise, I'm listening to my Teacher
- The Blessed One told of extinction for the release from all bonds
- Throughout a long time I loved this Teaching.
- One's own sons and husband are endearing,
- Those that tread the path of this Teaching are more endearing to me.
- Dearly loved sons or husband do not release you from unpleasantness
- As listening to the Teaching that releases living things from unpleasantness
- The world is afflicted with decay and death,
- The Teaching is realized for overcoming decay and death
- I desire to hear that Teaching, Punabasu don't make a noise.
4. "Mother I will not say Uttara be silent, I listen to the Teaching.
- Hearing the Teaching is pleasant.
- Knowing it, I tread that path with difficulty.
- The Teaching is indeed a light for gods and men.
- The Enlightened One bears the last body and preaches."
6. "It is noble to give birth to a wise son
- My son likes the pure Teaching of the Enlightened One
- Punabasu may you be happy! I realized it today
- I realized the four noble truths. Uttara you too listen to me."