Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
I heard thus. Once the Blessed One lived in Sàvatthi, in Jeta's grove in the monastery offered by Anathapindika.
2. When the night was waning a large number of deities of the Satullapa group, approached the Blessed One, illuminating the whole of Jeta's grove, worshiped the Blessed One and stood on a side.
3. One of those deities said this stanza in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "Faith, is a companion to man,
- If he does not lack faith,
- Fame, praise and such things come to him,
- Also he goes to heaven when leaving the body
- Dispel anger and chase out measuring,
- Overcome all bonds,
- Not soiled by name and matter
- Those without perceptions,
- Do not fall into trouble.
- The foolish dabble in negligence
- The wise one protects diligence, more than his wealth.
- Do not dabble in negligence! Do not be passionate for sensual pleasures!
- Those concentrating diligently reach to the highest pleasantness."