Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anathapindika in Jeta's grove in Savatthi.
2. Bhikkhus, in the past many virtuous sages, who conducted themselves well lived righteously together in huts of leaves near the ocean.
3. Bhikkhus, at that time there was a battle between the gods and the Titans.
4. Then it occurred to those virtuous sages, who conducted themselves righteously, "The gods are righteous and the Titans are not righteous. There is fear from the Titans too. What if we approach the Titan Sambara and ask for protection from him?"
5. Then those virtuous sages, who conducted themselves righteously, as a strong man would stretch his bent arm, or bend his stretched arm disappeared from the huts of leaves on the shore and appeared before the Titan Sambara.
6. Then those virtuous sages, who conducted themselves righteously, said these stanzas in the presence of the Titan Sambara.
7. "The sages have come to the presence of the Titan Sambara begging for protection
- Make your offering as it pleases you, either fear or protection."
8. "There is no protection to the wicked sages serving Sakka,
- To you begging for protection, I will give only fear."
- "To us, begging for protection fear was the offering made"
- Accept this too, your fear will never decrease
- Whatever seeds you sow, their fruits you will carry away.
- The righteous, will reap good and the evil doer evil.
- This moment seeds are sown, later the fruits will be enjoyed"
10. Then bhikkhus, those virtuous sages who conducted themselves righteously after cursing the Titan Sambara as a strong man, would stretch his bent arm, or bend his stretched arm disappeared from the presence of the Titan Sambara and appeared in the huts of leaves on the shore.
11. Then bhikkhus, the Titan Sambara being cursed by the virtuous sages who conducted themselves righteously was frightened three times during the night.