Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
2. At that time a certain female lay disciple's son by the name Sànu was seized by a non-human.
3. Then that lay disciple lamenting, said these stanzas that moment:
- "The worthy ones warned me! I heard it from the worthy ones.
- Today I myself see it, the non-humans exhaust Sànu.
- `On the fourteenth, fifteenth and eighth days of the waxing moon,
- If you observe the eight precepts of the holy life,
- The non-humans do not exhaust you.'
This was said by the worthy ones.
- "Sanu, did you do any wrong knowing. Do no evil openly or secretly
- If you do or will do evil, you would not be released from unpleasantness
- And your beauty too will vanish."
These are the words of the non-humans.
4. "Mother, why do you cry is it for my death, or not seeing me alive?
- Look! Mother I am alive, why do you cry on account of me?"
5. "I cry as though my son was dead, or else I do not see him alive.
- I have won my desire, and you have come back here.
- I may be crying for that, you are alive after death.
- Dear one, you are pulled out of the ashes, do you want to jump into it?"
- "Dear one, you are taken out of hell, do you want to get in there?
- Even with harassment, run fast to the appearance of good
- Do not desire to be burnt again."