Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the squirrels' sanctuary in the bamboo grove in Rajagaha.
2. The Blessed One spent most of the night mindfully walking and in the last watch of the night, washing his feet, entered the monastery. Turning on his right he lay down keeping one foot over the other making the lion's posture and mindful of the perception of waking.
3. Then Màra the evil one approached the Blessed One and said this stanza:
- "Why do you sleep? What do you dream?
- Why do you sleep here, as though injured?
- When the sun is rising why do you sleep?"
- Do you think it is an empty house?"
- "I am not carried anywhere, by deceptive craving, the sinful bend,
- I sleep having realized and destroyed all clingings to rebirth.
- What does it matter to you, Màra?"