Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. The origin is Sàvatthi. Then bhikkhuni Sela putting on robes in the morning and taking bowl and robes entered Sàvatthi for alms. Going the alms round and after the meal, she approached the dark forest and sat under a certain tree to spend the day in seclusion.
2. Then Màra the evil one desiring to frighten bhikkhuni Sela approached her and said thus:
- "Whose, is this made up image and who made it?
- How did the form rise and how will it cease?"
3. Then it occurred to bhikkhuni Sela, "Who is it that says a stanza, is it a human or non-human?"
4. Then it occurred to bhikkhuni Sela, "It is Màra the evil one, desiring to frighten me and disturb me and she said this stanza."
5. And bhikkhuni Sela knowing it is Màra the evil One, replied with this stanza
- "This form is not made by me, nor is the misfortune done by another,
- On account of causes come together, when the causes vanish will cease
- As though a certain seed placed in the field would grow,
- Coming to contact with earth and dampness,
- In the same manner on account of the masses, elements
- And the thirty-six spheres it arose and when the causes vanish, it will cease."
6. Then Màra the evil one knew that he was recognized by Bhikkhuni Sela, and displeased, vanished from there.