Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
2. Then bhikkhuni Soma, putting on robes in the morning and taking bowl and robes entered Sàvatthi for the alms. Going the alms round and after the meal, she approached the dark forest and sat at the root of a tree to find seclusion.
3. Then Màra the evil one desiring to frighten bhikkhuni Soma approached her and said this stanza:
- "That state difficult to achieve, should be achieved by sages.
- Women with two inches of wisdom cannot achieve it"
4. Then it occurred to bhikkhuni Soma, "Who is it that says a stanza, is it a human or non-human?"
5. Then it occurred to bhikkhuni Soma, it is Màra the evil one, desiring to frighten me and disturb me in my seclusion that has said this stanza.
6. And bhikkhuni Soma knowing it is Màra the evil One, replied with this stanaza:
- "When the mind is established, being a woman does not matter
- I have knowledge and reflect the Teaching rightfully.
- If that was not so, whether to woman or man
- Whatever was mine is suitable to be in the power of Màra."
6. Then Màra the evil one knowing, "Bhikkhuni Soma knows me," displeased, vanished from there.