Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At Uruwela.
2. At that time the Blessed One was seated in open space, in the dark and drops of rain were also falling.
3. Màra the evil one intended to frighten the Blessed One.
4. Màra approached the Blessed One and created large and small forms welcome and unwelcome not far away from the Blessed One.
5. The Blessed One knowing that it's Màra the evil one, said this stanza to him.
- "Creating forms good and evil, you fare in existences long,
- Enough of it, evil one, you are the ender.
- Màra those restrained in body, words and mind,
- Are not in your power and do not follow you."
6. Then Màra the evil one knew, "The Blessed One has recognized me," became displeased and vanished from there.