Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
2. From there, the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus.
3. And those bhikkhus said: "Yes, venerable sir."
4. The Blessed One said: "Bhikkhus, words, endowed with four factors become good, not wrongly uttered, faultless and not blamed by the wise. What four?
5. "Here, bhikkhus, the bhikkhu says only good words, talks only the Teaching nothing outside. Utters pleasant words not the unpleasant and tells the truth not a lie. Bhikkhus, endowed with these four factors words, become good, not wrongly uttered, faultless and not blamed by the wise."
6. The Well Gone One; the Teacher further said thus:
- "The appeased said that good words are noble
- Utter, words about the Teaching, not outside, that's the second
- Third is, utter pleasant words not the unpleasant.
- And tell the truth not lies, that is the fourth."
7. Then venerable Vaïgãsa got up from his seat, arranged his robe and clasping hands towards the Blessed One said: "Venerable sir, Blessed One, it occurs to me."
8. The Blessed One said "Vaïgãsa, say it."
9, Venerable Vaïgãsa said these meaningful stanzas in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "Say only those words, that do not arouse remorse in you,
- And do not hurt others. They are good words.
- Say pleasant words and rejoice later.
- Talk pleasant words to others, without hurting them.
- The truth does not die. This is the ancient lore.
- The appeased are established in the truth, useful and the righteous
- And the appeased words of the Enlightened One,
- To end unpleasantness are the most noble of words."