Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At the time, the Blessed One was living in Sàvatthi.
Rahu the king of the Titans had taken hold of Suriya the son of gods, and Suriya the son of gods, recollecting the Blessed One said this stanza:
2. "I worship you enlightened hero, you are released in every way.
- I have fallen into trouble. Please rescue me
3. Then the Blessed One addressed Rahu the king of Titans saying this stanza:
- "Sun, takes refuge in the Thus Gone Ones.
- Rahu, the Enlightened Ones have compassion for all, the world.
- Dispelling darkness, the sun, shines and blazes in a circle.
- Rahu, do not swallow the sun that moves in space. They are mine, so release the sun."
4. Then Rahu the king of Titans released the sun and instantly approached the king of Titans, Vepacitti, shivering with hairs standing on end and stood on a side. Vepacitti the king of Titans said this stanza to Rahu the king of Titans:
5. "Why did frightened Rahu release the sun
- Why do you stand here, as though frightened?"
6. "If I had not released the sun hearing the stanza asking me to do so.
- My head would split in seven and life would not be pleasant to me."