Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. Thus I heard. Soon after enlightenment, the Blessed One was living in Sàvatthi on the bank of river Nera¤jara, at the root of the Ajapàla banyan tree.
2. When the Blessed One was in seclusion this thought and thought process arose to him: `I am released from that difficult task. Good that I am released from that useless, difficult task. Good, I was mindful and attained enlightenment!'
3. Then Màra the evil one knowing the thought and thought process that had arisen to the Blessed One, approached and said a stanza to the Blessed One:
- "Without developing the austerities, how is the human to be purified?
- An impure one thinks he is pure, you have missed the path of purity."
4. The Blessed One, recognizing the evil one, replied him with a stanza:
- "I know the uselessness of all other austerities,
- All that miscarries one, like dear ones, removed from righteousness,
- I know the path and develop virtues, concentration and wisdom.
- I have attained the highest purity. Go away! You are the ender."
5. Then Màra the evil one knew, "The Blessed One has recognized me," became displeased and vanished from there.